Monday, October 15, 2007

Larry Craig Channels Bill Clinton

You have got to be kidding:

During the NBC interview, Craig slammed Romney.

"I was very proud of my association with Mitt Romney,” Craig said. “I'd worked hard for him here in the state. I was a co-chair of his campaign on Capitol Hill. And he not only threw me under his campaign bus, he backed up and ran over me again."

Does Craig not understand that when a person in a position of trust -- such as US Senator or campaign co-chair -- engages in embarrassing and self-destructive behavior, it's that person who betrays a trust? It was not Romney who created a difficult and embarrassing situation for Craig; it's Craig who did that to Romney. Romney was the one who should have been angry -- that someone he trusted put him in an embarrassing situation.

Craig reminds me of Bill Clinton, promising not to hold a grudge against those in Congress who had voted to impeach him. I wonder if he realizes how off-putting it is to see someone demand respect, who would be better off asking forgiveness.

No comments: