Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Who Matches the Zeal of the Convert?

Mitt Romney is attacking John McCain as not being sufficiently pro-life on abortion.

I don't think I can provide an apt analogy without resorting to the mention of people like Britney Spears and Paris Hilton, so I will refrain.

Mitt Romney was pro-choice until 15 minutes ago, and however many complaints people may have about John McCain, he has been more consistently pro-life than Romney. Still, I guess Romney has nearly a year before the first primary, during which time it pays to convince people that his conversion is real. Criticizing others for a lack of purity has historically been a good way to do that.

I don't think I'll be able to survive a year of this before the first votes are cast.

Some bright Senator would ensure his everlasting political popularity by introducing legislation to provide that no money raised before December 1 of the year before a Presidential election could be spent toward either a primary campaign or a general election campaign. That at least, would shorten the campaign season.

No comments: