Friday, May 12, 2006

Bush to Address the Nation on Immigration

According to the Fox and the AP. How is this going to fit into the plan to woo conservatives? Is he going to give the "I was wrong" speech? Remember I've argued it's not that easy.

I don't think we'll see a dramatic substantive change here. I think the President is likely to restate his suppport for an earned legalization of some type. But I agree that he is likely to amp up the volume on enforcement, as well - possibly to include a fence. My expectation though, is that he stresses the security threat at the southern border, and the fact that it is a vulnerability in the effort to fight terror. If he's smart, he'll also announce a focus on the northern border, both because this is a problem as well, and because that will make the approach more evenhanded.

Lastly, I bet that the 'hook' for the speech is that he will stress the importance of doing something this Summer - rather than wait for a new Congress.

Back to the top.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Preview of speech? El Presidente (illustrated) speaks in "Our First Mexican President."